The panelists will focus on issues related to race, government response, access to resources and media representation of the disaster.
Melvin Oliver, dean of social sciences at UCSB, will introduce the participants:
- Carl Gutierrez-Jones, director of the Center for Chicano Studies, who will serve as moderator
- William Freudenburg, professor in the Environmental Studies Program
- Gaye Theresa Johnson, assistant professor in the Department of Black Studies
- George Lipsitz, professor in the Department of Black Studies
- Howard Winant, professor in the Department of Sociology
- Marty Blum, Mayor of Santa Barbara.
The discussion will be followed by a photo presentation by Nathan Bassiouni, a student at Tulane University who was deputized by the National Guard for rescue work.
The event is sponsored by the Center for Black Studies, the Department of Black Studies, and several other campus offices.